How ABM aligns sales and marketing teams to supercharge B2B revenue growth
Effective Account-Based Marketing (ABM) relies on sales and marketing teams successfully aligning their efforts. Here are some of the key ways that an ABM strategy supports a collaborative approach that reaches right across the customer engagement lifecycle:
- Common Goals and Objectives: ABM establishes shared goals and objectives for both sales and marketing teams. Rather than operating in silos, ABM encourages close collaboration and aligns both teams around a common objective, such as targeting and converting high-value accounts. This alignment ensures that both teams are working towards the same revenue-focused goals.
- Account Selection and Targeting: Sales and marketing teams work together to identify and select target accounts that have the highest potential for revenue growth. They collaborate to define ideal customer profiles and develop criteria for selecting accounts. This alignment ensures that marketing efforts are focused on accounts that align with the sales team's priorities and objectives.
- Account-Specific Messaging and Content: ABM involves creating highly personalised and targeted messaging for each account. Sales and marketing teams collaborate to develop account-specific content, campaigns, and experiences that resonate with the target accounts. Marketing provides sales teams with tailored resources and materials that can be used during the sales process to engage and influence decision-makers.
- Coordinated Campaign Execution: Sales and marketing teams coordinate their efforts to execute campaigns and initiatives that target the identified accounts. Marketing plays a role in designing and implementing multichannel campaigns that engage target accounts across various touchpoints. Sales teams leverage these marketing campaigns and materials to support their conversations and outreach to key stakeholders within the accounts.
- Continuous Communication and Feedback: ABM fosters regular communication and feedback loops between sales and marketing teams. This collaboration allows for insights and feedback to be shared, enabling iterative improvement of strategies and tactics. Sales teams provide valuable feedback on the effectiveness of marketing campaigns and the responsiveness of target accounts, which helps marketing teams refine their approach.
- Measurement and Analysis: ABM emphasises data-driven decision-making and measurement of results. Sales and marketing teams collaborate on defining key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics to track the success of ABM initiatives. This shared measurement framework enables both teams to assess the impact of their joint efforts on revenue growth and make informed adjustments to their strategies as needed.
By aligning sales and marketing efforts through ABM, enterprise B2B organisations can create a unified revenue-focused approach.
This collaboration ensures that sales and marketing teams are working towards the same goals, targeting the right accounts, delivering personalised messaging and content, coordinating campaign execution, and continuously learning and improving together. Ultimately, this alignment leads to increased revenue generation, improved customer acquisition, and enhanced growth for the organisation.
With a heritage spanning 40 years, Gilroy is a leading enterprise B2B integrated agency and the pioneer of Account-Based Everything. Through connected marketing experiences, we support many of the world’s leading B2B brands in nurturing customer advocacy, growing account expansion and supercharging sales performance.